Category Archives: Coding

Tactical Position

It was a bit more work than expected, but battlemaps are now loading dynamically AND units are being placed dynamically as well. The main problem I encountered was that my trigonometric functions were, well, not working right. I dug around … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design, Screenshots, TI-99/4a | Leave a comment

Battlemap Rebuild

As I continue working on the combat engine, finishing up other portions of “temporary” code has come up. One particular one is the use of battlemaps. Most of the 2D CRPG tactical combat games feature some kind of varied terrain … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design, Screenshots, TI-99/4a | 13 Comments

Ready, Aim, Fire!

Real life has been super busy and complicated lately, but I found some time to hammer out and get the ranged combat system fully functional. The big addition was adding sprite movement to the FX engine. I wrote up a … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Screenshots, Video | Leave a comment

Debug Blues

Debugging the combat engine continues… it is really good to do so, though, since now it’s actually working and the bugs aren’t completely derailing it. Well, most of the time. A simple register shift being one off caused all the … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design | Leave a comment

Premature Exultation

Ha ha! I got the FX to work! And it is beautiful… Well, it WAS beautiful, until I discovered a horde of bugs around it, such as: Monster graphics are correct, but once in awhile the wrong file loads for … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Screenshots | Leave a comment

Bug Extermination

Okay, I spent several hours on code fixing, building, re-building, file editing, spreadsheet updates… all aimed at getting the game back on a (sort of) running basis. I also thought some new screenshots would be nice to splash around the … Continue reading

Posted in Blog, Coding, CRPG, Design, Screenshots | Leave a comment

A Static Situation

So, I’ve done a further bit of change to how weapons and armor work… now all base types (sword, dagger, leather armor, etc.) have fixed amounts for ALL statistics, read from CPU memory. (I could push it out to disk … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design, Gaming | Leave a comment

Eating on the Run

The code and spreadsheets are a’changing… so far, I’m really looking forward to how the changes work. With simpler math, the combat engine should be much easier to balance out. As usual, changing some spells was in order. I had … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design | Leave a comment

A Farewell to Arms

The refactoring continues… part of which is the redesign of how weapons and armor work. Playing World of Warcraft in the last few years has really made me recognize the serious problem of high-scaling. Basically, if you create a system … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design | Leave a comment

Ready, set, action!

Okay, I got my new system figured out in my mind… actually re-configuring the code base to use it is a long arduous process I probably won’t start for awhile, but at least I know what I’m going to do. … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, CRPG, Design | 3 Comments